Using alternative implementations of get or pack methods¶
packman provides a way to override the basic implementations for the get and pack methods for each component.
let’s look at the example:
- we have a components file in our cwd with a riemann component.
- we want to run a different get method than the default one.
- we create a get.py file in our cwd with a function called get_riemann.
- this will override the get method when running pkm get -c riemann
- same goes for the pack method.
- of course, a user can create a specific get function only to extend the base get method by importing the *get* method from packman and adding to it.
for an example, see an example get file.
..note:: when looking for the overriding methods’ names, all hyphens will be replaced by underscores and all dots will be removed. so, for instnce, you could provide a component named “java-1.7.0-openjdk”, but when specifying the method’s name, you should call it “get_java_170_openjdk”